Thanks for visiting my website!
I’ve been in the fields of printing and publishing since 1980. My life changed in 2000 when I moved to Tucson, Arizona. I was hired by Morgan-Cain, the parent company of the online educational publisher Reading A–Z (which is now part of the Learning A–Z family of websites). I became the design/production manager of Reading A–Z when it was in its infancy and also got my start at writing books for K–5 students. It was love at first sight.
I’ve since written 100+ leveled books for Reading A–Z and Science A–Z, along with 150+ books and 150+ reading passages (through Grade 8) for other clients, including:
Benchmark Education Company • Wright Group/McGraw-Hill
Trillium Publishing • BlueAppleWorks
Zaner-Bloser • Rosen Publishing
International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) • Glacier Creek Publishing
Marshall Cavendish Benchmark • Be Naturally Curious
In addition, I’ve done an extensive amount of educational copy editing and proofreading, including student materials for Reading A–Z’s and Science A–Z’s monthly uploads. Also, I was the principal writer for Vocabulary A–Z for five years, during which time I wrote 8,550 database entries (definitions, context sentences, multiple-choice questions, and more).
• I worked in the field of archaeozoology for the Illinois State Museum and New Mexico State University.
• I found a mistake about dinosaurs in the World Book Encyclopedia when I was seven.
• I grew up in a family that was active in social justice issues, including the civil rights movement.
• I am also a certified life and wellness coach and a memoir author.
• I love to travel and have visited all fifty states. Now I’m working on Canada and the U.S. national parks.
• My favorite place on Earth is the shores of Durness, Scotland.
• In my free time, I enjoy art quilting, playing clawhammer banjo, and taking long walks in the desert.
• My husband, Charlie Alolkoy, is a gifted children’s illustrator and 3D artist.
Favorite writing topics
Animals • Other life science
The civil rights movement • Other history
Weather • Landforms • Other earth science
Biographies • Cultures around the world
Music • Art
Certificate, Nonfiction Writing
University of Washington-Seattle
MA, Integral Counseling Psychology
California Institute of Integral Studies
University of Colorado-Boulder